As promised, here is my post about our visit to Mount Rushmore. Neither one of us had ever visited this particular historial monument before and we had a beautiful day to do so.
We passed Pactola Lake on our way to Mount Rushmore and the color of the water matched the sky perfectly.
As we began driving up the mountain, this soon came into view. I was not fast enough with my camera but at some points in the road we could see the lake to the side of us, the monument in front of us and a spectacular bird's eye view of the Black Hills below us.
We walked through this walkway to get to a better view of the monument and discovered that the pillars had a flag of each state in the US as well as the when that state was admitted into the union.
Our home state...this will always be home for us.
And of course this is our new home state and my, my...he actually does know how to smile. (Sometimes getting a decent smile from my husband is like asking him to clean bathrooms...all I get is a grunt and stupid expression.)
(We were having a little bit of fun with George...we thought he would look good with a goatee.)
These steps lead up to the inside of the studio the sculpter used during the construction of Mount Rushmore. I liked the old-time feel they had about them.
This is inside the studio where the sculpter worked on his amazing design. The 4 presidents can be seen through the triangular window in the background. The picture below was taken through that window.
Lo and behold, wouldn't you know there happened to be a blue-eyed snow snake sighting right there at Mount Rushmore and I just so happened to have my camera ready. I captured him just as he was slithering behind that wall.
And be forewarned....he may be coming to a state near you!! Be on the look-out...you can never be too careful when he's on the loose.
As if seeing the blue-eyed snow snake was weirdo enough for us, we just had to pass this redneck....uh....thing in the parking lot. I couldn't resist taking a picture...even this is a little too over-the-top for our country lifestyle.
No comments:
Post a Comment